September 4, 2010

Honeymoon Day 8: LAST DAY

On the last day of our honeymoon, the only thing we had planned was dinner at Lago in Meredith with the family.  I could not wait for that!  Until then, we slept in, went for a walk (hubby went for a run), had breakfast.  Hubby wanted to take a hike all week and we hadn't gone.  I figured we would improvise.  We would go to Profile Falls in Bristol NH, which I had been wanting to get to, and took a short hike there to the falls.  It was so beautiful there, and deserted.  I had to pee really bad but even though we were out in the open and it was bright and sunny out, when you gotta go, you gotta go.  I dropped my pants and my husband stood in front of me to block the view from anyone who might be hiking down the mountain at that point.  It was so windy out it actually blew my pee forward which made me laugh really hard, which made the task very difficult. It wasn't until I had my pants back on that I saw a house on the top of the mountain, behind me, so that anyone in the house must have had a really clear view of my business!  Oh well, it was over now.

We laid on a flat rock for awhile, admiring the falls and trying to find the human profile that had been carved into the rock (never found it).  We read our books for awhile and eventually started getting hungry so we headed back to camp.  We cooked lunch on our smoker.  We had some chicken, smoked some cheese that we ate with crackers, had left over pasta salad and edamame salad, and some beers. 

We hung out on the beach until it was time to get ready to go to dinner.  When we got to Lago, the family was already there.  They had scored Adirondak chairs overlooking the water.  Drinks arrived while we waited: a martini for my step-mom, beer for my dad (Bud Lite accidentally instead of Bud) and juice for my brother, who does not drink.  I ordered a martini and my husband got a beer.  The scenery was so beautiful.  There were only about 5 tables but we didn't have to wait very long for ours, a long table with an umbrella.  The drinks were fantastic, my first drink had pineapple and basil in it.  To the table our waitress brought dishes of mixed olives to dip in rosemary infused olive oil (nice touch!)  Then she brought out some fresh, crusty bread to dip in the oil.  For appetizers we ordered bruschetta, served on the same crusty bread with thick slices of tomato, fresh basil, fresh mozzarella melted on top, topped with a drizzle of balsamic vinaigrette reduction.  We also ordered mussels in a red sauce.

Our meals came and they were also delicious.  I had chicken marsala, but had a hard time deciding between that and cioppino.  My husband got duck, which was served mixed with pasta in a yummy sauce.  My brother got a porterhouse steak (HUGE!) and my stepmom got braised short ribs.  My dad got the cioppino.  I gave him the rest of my meal that I couldn't finish because his meal actually looked the smallest of all.

My husband ordered a chocolate ganache pudding for dessert.  It was really rich and fudgy and came with some fresh whipped cream on the side.  For the rest of us, the waitress brought some hunks of white chocolate.  Coffee came in a French press, which was imPRESSive!  And soooo tasty!  In all the experience was fantastic!  I loved everything about the place!  I cannot wait to go back!

We were raving so much about it on the way back to camp that I didn't realize how fast I was going and got pulled over.  I was nervous because I had had two martinis at dinner (the second was an antioxidant martini with pomagranite and acai berry) but the officer was very nice, smiling, and let me off with a warning (Thank God!)

We finished the night by laying out, watching the shooting stars blaze blue trails across the sky.  I had never seen such long tails on shooting stars before, it was truly amazing and the perfect end to a wonderful trip!

No comments:

Post a Comment