September 4, 2010

Honeymoon Day 6: Wolfeboro NH

I woke up at 8:30 am, ant-mares having kept me up a lot over night.  I went out for a walk and tried to jog but the sneakers I had brought were not conducive to my efforts.  I gave up and walked about 2 miles in the fresh mountain air.  We had breakfast and then left to meet my family in Wolfeboro NH for 12 pm for lunch.  They had discovered a place called Morissey's Front Porch that had supposedly amazing lobster rolls.

On the way there, I cried a lot.  I was tired, emotional, cranky, and my GPS lied to us about the length of time it would take to our destination so we were going to be late, which did not make me happy.  However, we arrived, 15 minutes late, ordered our lobster rolls, and enjoyed the company of my family.
When the lobster rolls arrived, I was pleased to find the description in the menu did not steer us wrong: there were huge chunks of claw and tail meat, I mean huge!  Look at the photo!  It was so delicious!  The only thing I wasn't thrilled about was the chill of the lobster meat.  They aren't steaming these things in back to order and putting still-warm meat in these rolls, but it's easy to overlook this with how delicious the meat is!  You can get the roll with mayo or melted butter on the side.  So good.  Their New England Clam Chowder is delish too.


After the restaurant we went into Wolfeboro to the Hampshire Pewter shop, where my dad and step-mom had gotten some pewter to sell in their florist when they had owned the florist.  We did a tour of the shop which consisted of a video and then observations of the few employees the shop has, working away at making pewter pieces.  Truly amazing!

We went to the park to see the pewter sculpture and the "Bench of Friendship" that symbolizes a friendship with Russia, which was especially meaningful to my family now that I have married a Russian man.  The bench is hand-wrought, 450 lbs, and was made in Russia, delivered to US to commemorate 200 years of diplomatic relations between the countries.

We hung out by the marina for awhile, watching all of the boats trying to get a spot to park to come up and get some lunch in town.  I laughed at the jacked man that was walking around like he was the next big thing, with his bitty yappy dog on a leash.  He walked by and I obnoxiously said "Drop the chalupa!"

We came back from Wolfeboro and the family came too, we were having everyone over for dinner.  (notice how this trip revolves around food? lol)  We made smoked chicken on our smoker, pasta with sauce and fresh tomatoes, green and yellow squash, and my aunt brought a steak she had cooked.

After dinner we all played Apples to Apples, a card game I had never played before.  One person reads a word, the rest of the people have to try to find a word they are holding in their hand of cards that describes that word, and the person that read the word selects the word that best describes it.  Who ever has the winning word is, thus, the winner.  Really fun game!

When the family left I beat my husband's butt in his Russian card game, Durak ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment