September 4, 2010

Honeymoon Day 4 (Monday): ZIPLINING!

In the morning we went for a walk together.  We walked about 2 miles and then I was ready to go back to the cabin because I was starving.  Afterward we went for a quick dip in the lake for the first time.  The water was really warm. 

For breakfast we had bacon, coffee, and eggs. 

Later in the day we took a nap, and I was actually able to sleep for awhile!  It was great. 

We went to the store to pick up some things for the dinner we were hosting.  We got 5 lobsters among some other less important things.  We put the lobsters on ice and headed out to Lincoln, NH to go ziplining at Alpine Adventures.  I had booked us a 2 hour zipline tour that included a WHITE KNUCKLE DROP at the end.  First of all, I don't do heights.  I don't normally do ziplines, or never had before besides a backyard one.  I knew it was going to be scary, but I wasn't prepared for what it was actually like. 

When we got to Alpine Adventures, they harnessed us up and gave us helmets to put on.  Then they put us in the back of this all-terrain vehicle that had no windows and we seat belted in.  The seat belts were the only things preventing us from flying off the mountain.  This vehicle drove straight up, on the rocky terrain, it was so crazy!  It was bumpy and scary but I liked it!  It drove us to the top of Bear Mountain where we got out and walked to a tree-top walkway.  We were harnessed onto a cable and walked across the walkway where we ended up in two groups, on two different tree-top platforms.  I started to freak out at this point.  You could look down and see the ground about 50 feet below or more.  My husband was on the other tree top platform because this was a zipline we were to race each other on. 

I was holding on the tree and when it got to be our turn to go (we were last) I was really nervous.  I asked my guide if I was really secure, asked him if he was going to drop me.  He told me not to say drop, it was a 4-letter word up here.
Basically one second you are standing on this platform and then the guides say "one, two, three, ZIP!" and you jump and fly along the line.  It's crazy!  You end up spinning yourself backwards by accident and then have to turn yourself around again, if you want.  It's really fun though!  We did four zip lines before the white knuckle drop, which scared me the most.  At this point, about 4 people had gone ahead of me and I was on the treetop platform waiting for my turn.  A thunderstorm was brewing in the sky and the guides were trying to get us all through the rest of the course before lightning struck so besides the adrenaline rush there was this additional push that was crazy!  At my turn, I jumped from the platform and went straight down toward the ground, racing 50 MPH, and I screamed like a girl!  Like, a blood-curdling scream that my husband told me later sounded like I was being stabbed!  It was exhilarating.  You go over the people on the ground that had gone before you, and you come up towards a telephone pole.  I was strongly thinking I was going to have to put my feet out to stop myself but then realized that would be dumb and I would break my legs.  That's when I started going back down the zipline the way I came.  Finally as I was swinging back and forth on the line one of the guides rolled a ladder out, grabbed me, unhooked me, and I climbed down the ladder to wait for my husband and every one else.  It was super fun!  And the storm did not hit until we were in the car :)

When we got back to camp, my dad, step mom, and brother were waiting for us, as were my aunt and cousins.  We cooked our lobsters on the grill this year.  They  had been on ice all day but they still squirmed on the grill which I hated to see :(  BUT!  They were delicious!  Best lobster I have had in my life!  My aunt cooked some tilapia in garlic, onions, salt, and pepper.  We also had potatoes, potato salad, edamame salad, and green salad!  Talk about a feast.


After dinner we played UNO Attack, which is hilarious!  That game always makes me laugh. 

That night I was up all night, itching, thinking ants were crawling on me, although they weren't.  I did not know that and the next day I was very tired and cranky.  :(

No comments:

Post a Comment